Traditional software development methods cannot provide rapid response to ongoing change experienced by organizations in today’s environment. An Agile development methodology enables small collaborative teams to rapidly implement and deliver value.
CRGT’s Agile development approach is based upon combining high-performance work space, technology resources, and collaboration with our customers into work teams, to ensure a development process that produce quality software applications:
- Our People – Have deep experience including Agile training and certifications.
- Our Facility – Has high-performance work space configured with integrated technology for maximum team productivity.
- Our Tools – Have tailored software tools to better manage each Agile development project for consistency and effectiveness.
Agile approach to software application development offers key benefits
- Collaboration not negotiation – A rapid, iterative development approach fosters close collaboration between developers and the customer. Because results are produced faster, functional problems are identified and addressed earlier rather than at the end of the project.
- Risk reduction – Agile’s iterative process facilitates early problem identification and remediation thereby reducing the risk of an unacceptable final application program.
- Requirements adaptability – Even the most well thought out requirements can change during the course of a development process. Agile’s iterative structure, with functionality being delivered in two- to four-week increments, allow requirement changes to be incorporated into near-future development increments, thereby providing rapid response to business changes while enabling the development process to remain on schedule.
- Cost savings – Because of a significantly reduced development timeline, customers can save significant budget resources by employing an Agile methodology.
DevOps – A necessary partnership
Software development process is in transition from traditional sequentially-oriented methodologies, such as Waterfall, toward rapid development and deployment of smaller pieces of application functionality. The Agile methodology, and its extensions such as Continuous Integration and DevOps, coupled with Test Driven Development and Continuous Integration, work to not only increase speed to application delivery but significantly increase quality.
DevOps can be viewed as a partnership between development and Operations. The interdependence between these two organization entities is becoming much more critical.
The Agile Scrum methodology completes deployable code every two weeks, during which time the code is continually built, integrated, and tested in what are called ‘sprints’. The expectation is that this effort will be performed many times a day. This concept entails multiple Scrum teams per project with between five and nine persons to a team; then can be expanded even further to address multiple simultaneous development programs. Operations has an increasingly critical support role, especially in the development and test environments. Not only is it a critical problem if a production server fails, but a development server failure can critically delay the work of multiple teams and put sprint schedules in jeopardy.
DevOps requires continual collaboration and communication between software developers and IT Operations, similar to the close relationship between developers and their customers, which Agile methodology requires. Such collaboration and integration of activities ensures mutual success. DevOps’ partnership with development can ensure standard development environments, high availability of systems components, and automated process controls. It provides the ability to provision server capacity on demand, preferably through a cloud provisioning model.
CRGT recognizes the importance of DevOps. We have developed and deployed the means of ensuring environment standardization and automated integration, software builds, and deployment with no human intervention. In addition, CRGT employs Data Analytics based on both application and infrastructure log files to proactively help isolate and remediate potentially harmful issues.
Dedicated to customer success
CRGT has a dedicated Agile Center of Excellence with high-performance work spaces in Chantilly, Virginia. The team areas are open, with each having state-of-the-art technology and display capabilities. Electronic white-boards and video-enabled teleconference capabilities allow for remote collaboration when necessary or efficient sharing of information between team members.